The Canine Good Citizen course, known as CGC Training, teaches life skills. This training is the last step of regular training courses, but the first or introductory course to prepare your dog for a Trick Class or Therapy Dog training. These skills will help your canine companion be less stressed and experience less anxiety from routine tasks like nail trimming or tick removal, etc. This will also help the owner, groomers and veterinarians do their job more successfully.
This course starts with the “Responsible Dog Ownership pledge”, a promise to provide for your dog’s safety, health and quality of life, followed by training your dog to pass a 10-skill test that focuses on obedience, manners, confidence and social skills.
The CGC 10-skills test include the following:
- Allowing a friendly stranger to approach
- Sitting politely for petting
- Accepting grooming/examination from somebody other than the owner
- Walking on a loose leash
- Walking politely and under control through a crowd
- Sitting and lying down on cue and staying in place
- Coming when called
- Reacting politely to another dog
- Reacting calmly to a distraction such as a dropped chair
- Reacting calmly to supervised separation from the owner